The Q&A Archives: lehua of hawaii....metrosideros collina 'springfire'

Question: I recently purchased the there a pest problem with this plant? If so, what do I use to keep it healthy? I live at the beach and have problems with white fly, aphids, white moths, etc...Can't seem to control them in the summer months. They reek havic on my rose bushes, and nearly anything else I plant. Please Help. Thank you. Sincerely, paulette

Answer: Metrosideros collina 'Spring Fire' is generally pest-free but if you have a population of aphids and whiteflies in your garden, your new plant may fall victim to them. One of the most effective controls of these pests is Safer's Insecidical Soap. You may have to treat every few weeks until you get the population under control. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Best wishes with your garden!