The Q&A Archives: Trees/Shrub on Full Sun Terrace

Question: Dear Sir,

I am searching for a narrow growing evergreen that I can pot on my terrace. My terrace has concrete pavers and there is an apartment underneath. I am hoping for a plant that doesn't shed too much as to minimize the leaves/needles falling in the cracks between pavers. I get all day sun and sometimes it gets a little windy. Online, I've seen these plants: Juniperus virginiana

Answer: A hot sunny exposure combined with wind is a fairly difficult location for a container plant -- especially evergreens as they tend to dry out during the winter. They also suffer from the lack of insulation at the roots, both due to cold and to oscillating temperatures. The juniper would probably be the better choice among evergreens. Good luck with your plantings!