The Q&A Archives: oleanders or wax myrtle

Question: I am creating a tropical landscape for mediterrian style house and I want to put in a hedge (to block people from seeing in my house) along a 155 feet wrought iron fence which is about 8 feet tall. Would you recommend that I put in some wax myrtles or a oleanders if so how many should I put in for each type of plant. Finally how much would a would it be for both oleanders or wax myrtles.

Fianlly if you have any other ideas that would work well for a hedge and still maintain a tropical theme. Let me know just keep in mind that the house is in Willis, Texas which is an hour and half north of houston, texas headed north on I-45 headed straight toward dallas, texas.

John Reinke

Answer: John,

Either would be a good choice. Wax myrtles tend to get wider unless you shear them some to keep them in shape. Oleander is poisonous and a bit marginal in hardiness for your area. Plant both species about 5 feet apart. One other option is the Bright N Tight Carolina Cherry Laurel. It gets much taller than 8 feet but makes a pretty good and dense hedge.

You might try contacting your County Extension Office for more hedge ideas. They have local experts in Horticulture.