The Q&A Archives: plants/flower not requiring sun light

Question: what plants and/or flowers do not require direct sunlight, I have an area under a deck that recieve no sunlight and I would like to plant something, can you help.

Answer: Unfortunately, very few plants will survive under a deck. In addition to very deep shade, the soil beneath the deck will also be very dry. You might be able to grow some English ivy (Hedera helix) or possibly hostas there if you are able to water it regularly. However the other consideration with a low hanging deck is that animals may try to den there, especially woodchucks -- which can inflict vicious bites. For this reason you may want to use wire mesh or trellis material to block off access to under the deck. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.