The Q&A Archives: Landscape

Question: Hello, I'm looking for a plant that gets 3' wide for zones 4,5 that will tolerate part shade. I'm also looking for plants that get 18

Answer: I'd suggest looking for plants that will tolerate the colder zone, if you're on the border line. That way, if there is a "colder than usual" winter, you have slightly more of a safety margin. For the smaller plant, I'd suggest you look through the choices for perennial hostas or astilbe. Some daylilies might work, especially if they are in filtered light. There are many species from which to choose. For the larger, have you considered ferns? I know they aren't always the first thing that jumps to mind but they can make an attractive statement in the right spot. Some can form quite large clumps, so choose something that stays within your size range. Some euonymous take full sun to part shade. Again, there are many species so review Monrovia's plant catalog to find one that fits your space and exposure.