The Q&A Archives: Plants that don't require direct sunlight

Question: I have an area under a 2nd story deck that receives limited direct sunlight. The deck is over 15 feet off the ground. I would like to plant something around this area, such as azaleas. Do azaleas require DIRECT sunlight, or will they survive with limited exposure?What other plants or shrubs don't require direct sunlight?

Answer: Actually, what you're looking for are plants that grow well under shady conditions. Several types of azaleas will grow in shady sites, as will hundreds of other plants. You can find a list of suitable plants on the Monrovia Nursery website. Here's the address of the page where you can fill in the attributes (your gardening zone and shade loving plants) and the site will generate a list of plants:

Best wishes with your new garden!