The Q&A Archives: rose pruning

Question: Is there a difference between pruning old fashioned roses?
I pruned my four roses that are all planted in pots. Three are
old fashioned and 'generosa' types: Mme.Paule Boucose; Paul Massad;
and Florence Delatire(hard to read the tag anymore --- gotta make a new one!). The other I have in my location of Zone 9 near New Orleans
is another everblooming tea rose that I rescued from a store w/no tag
to know the name.
The tea rose has a nice long stalk --- in good condition and with growth about as thick as a pencil and a fair amt. toward the bottom that's thicker. The problem was that I couldn't find an otward facing bud that I was hoping for toward the thicker base of the
stem, so I've got one fairly long stem left on the whole bush, which looks strange.

Answer: Dianne,

Old fashioned roses are often just hedge pruned with little care as to the particulars. Rose pruning can be complicated for all the various types. For you tea rose I would not worry as much about outward facing buds as for creating a more balanced plant with several canes in various directions.

Pruning roses can a bit of a trick, so visit these sites for more information: