The Q&A Archives: House Plant

Question: I purchased a plant from a local store and cannot seem to find what it is. I remember the sticker said a paddle plant, but I have searched the internet for a match and cannot seem to find one. It has thick green leaves about 1/4 in. thick and stands about a foot tall. It actually does look like paddle. I also remember the directions saying that it did not have to be watered very often, as it does fine in dry soil and not to let it sit in water drain all the extra. If you could please help me I would appreciate it very much. Thank You!

Answer: I did find several references to paddle plant as a Kalanchoe thyrsiflora. This is a succulent so the care recommendations would be suitable. The following site shows a photo but gives it some other common names instead. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

Here is another photo of K. thyrsiflora in its native environment. Color can be affected by the amounts of sun and fertilizer a plant receives, as well as by temperatures and age so it looks a bit different. Here is some more information about it you may enjoy.

Here is one more photo with notes.

Enjoy your plant!