The Q&A Archives: Salt Tolerant Container plants

Question: I am interested in finding a hardy container plant.

1) Evergreen
2) Full sun
3) Ocean / salt spray

A few plants I have planted have not done well and I now believe it is because of the ocean breeze/salt.

One is the Potato plant (tree form) and they are planted in the ground. At the moment they are completely bare.

The other is a type of ficus. It is grown as a hedge and the side that gets the ocean breeze is not growing.

Answer: Salt tolerant? refers to those plants highly resistant to salt drift that can be utilized in exposed areas. Some shrubs to consider include:

Oleander (Nerium oleander). A fast-growing, salt tolerant, evergreen shrub that can be found in a variety of flower colors and as well as a dwarf form. All parts of this plant are poisonous.
Yaupon Holly (Ilex vomitoria). A small, salt tolerant native tree with small leaves and many branches that can be grown in areas ranging from full sun to full shade.

Dwarf Yaupon Holly (Ilex vomitoria ?Nana?). A dwarf variety of the tree listed above.
Silverthorn (Eleagnus pungens). Fast growing, salt tolerant, sprawling shrub with leaves that are silver underneath.
Pittosporum (Pittosporum tobira). A popular salt tolerant hedge plant with whorling green or variegated leaves.

Groundcovers, Bedding Plants & Vines:

Confederate Jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides). Both the regular and the dwarf forms are moderately salt tolerant.
Purple Queen (Setcreasea spp.). This purple leafed, salt tolerant groundcover is a vibrant addition to a bed in full or part sun.
Purslane/Portulaca (Portulaca spp.). Succulent, salt tolerant summer annual available in a variety of flower colors.
Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonicus). Salt tolerant, low growing ground cover for part to full shade areas.
Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea spp.). Thorny-stemmed, salt tolerant vine available in a variety of vibrant flower colors.
Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe spp.). Salt tolerant perennial plant that produces pink, yellow, or orange-red flowers during the winter and spring.

Hope these suggestions help you find just the right plants!