The Q&A Archives: canada green seed

Question: I have been seeing a lot of ads for canada green grass seed. They say it will give you lush green lawn in weeks. What do you know about this seed?

Answer: Often, things that seem too good to be true are in fact, too good to be true. I've seen the ad and it goes something like this:

"Amazing grass seed mixture guarantees you a lush, green lawn quickly and easily! Guaranteed to grow green, hardy and spread fast in just days in any climate. Developed in Canada where temperatures range from 20 F below to 100 F . Guaranteed to choke out crabgrass and unsightly weeds."

University studies paint a different picture. They say Canada Green is a poor quality grass seed mix that contains annual rye, Kentucky bluegrass, and red fescue. Annual ryegrass is a quick germinating, cool-season, annual grass. Use of annual ryegrass in seed mixtures is discouraged because its aggressive growth prevents the establishment of the more desirable perennial turfgrasses. Home gardeners can buy good quality turfgrass seed mixes at their local garden center for about half the cost of Canada Green.

I'd avoid purchasing Canada Green grass seed and find a good mixture at a local nursery.