The Q&A Archives: Clean(er) tree, very close proximity to pool; limited 10' wide space

Question: As you can see from email below, I keep getting different suggestions. I contacted several of the listed dealers for my zip code from this site, but they say this ICEE BLUE? YELLOW-WOOD
Podocarpus elongatus 'Monmal' does not do well in this Phoenix area.

Can you offer any suggestions? I also need suggestion for as much of a sound barrier as possible in a small space between house and pool & A/C equipment.
Thank you.

Hi Kathi,

Thank you for using my Landscaping Web site. And thanks, too, for your
kind words.

Here's a link that may interest you. This

Answer: For appropriate poolside plantings, you want things that can take extreme reflected heat and that don't drop alot of litter to clog the equipment. Download this free publication from the University of Arizona Cooperative Extension: Poolside Plantings, AZ 1058 It's also available as a PDF.

I strongly urge you to stick with native and desert-adapted choices, such as those listed in the above publication. They are adapted to our heat, alkaline soil, aridity, sunshine and have few if any pest problems. You are quite limited by that 10' width. You may need to choose a shrub. Good luck!