The Q&A Archives: Planting

Question: I purchased Viburnum 'Spring Bouguet' to use as a hedge the I would like to reach 6' in height. How far apart to I plant these (they are in 5 gal containers)in order to get a thick density without overcrowding? ~Thanks.

Answer: Spring Bouquet Viburnum is an evergreen shrub with small, leathery, dark, green leaves. The new stems flush wine-red then fade to green. Viburnum tinus 'Compactum' has dense fragrant white to light pink flowers in the spring. The fruit is a blue black berry in the fall. This Viburnum has a round compact upright growth habit and can get 5-6' tall by 5-6' wide making it perfect for small hedges or screens. For fast screening, plant 4 feet apart. This spacing will give ample room for good growth and the branches will grow into a single hedge in a few short years.