The Q&A Archives: Care of Fall Blooming Cassia

Question: How do I take care of a Fall Blooming Cassia? Does it need to be cut back in the spring and how much. How should I fertilize it?

Answer: Cassia should be cut back to the ground after frost kills back the stems. Cassia requires very little care after becoming established. Give it a handful or two of a 6-6-6 fertilizer in early spring when new stems start growing, and fertilize again in mid-summer. Cassia should be planted in full sun. The only serious pest is caterpillars in the fall when they are blooming. If yours are attacked by these pests, use Thurcide (Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki - a bacterial disease that affects only moth larvae). Follow directions on the container. It's sold in many garden centers, and by Gardens Alive (5100 Schenley Pl., Lawrenceville, IN 47025; ph# 812/537-8650).