The Q&A Archives: Clematis & Camellias cohabitation

Question: I have completed terracing my garden and want to plant camellias as a hedging between garden rooms. On these camellias I would like to plant clematis with a later bloom. Are clematis and camellias companionable. Please advise... any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Kate Hynes

Answer: The most successful plant companions are those with similar cultural requirements. Full sun and moist but well draining soils are conditions both plant types enjoy. Camellia prefers a slightly acidic soil and clematis isn't particular about soil but likes to have its roots shaded and tops in the sun. If you can plant so the camellias cast shade on the roots of the clematis, both plant types should grow well in the same garden area.