The Q&A Archives: the amaryllis bloom's growth seems thwarted if not completely stifled

Question: I have an amaryllis that is trying to birth it's seasonal flower. But it seems stuck. I can see the green bulb of the bloosom just out of the dirt, but it's not growing. It seems stuck. What can I do for it?

Answer: Amaryllis will slow down if the room temperature is too cool or if the soil dries out completely. Make sure it is at room temperature of say 70 degrees and that the soil is slightly damp -- not sopping wet, just moist like a wrung out sponge. Water with tepid water rather than icy cold. Keep it in very bright light. Turn it regularly so it doesn't lean toward the light too much. Also, keep in mind it will not be growing quite as fast as the proverbial bean stalk, it can take 4 to 6 weeks to bloom. I hope this helps!