The Q&A Archives: climate zone confusion

Question: Is there some way to use Sunset climate zones for plant search? USDA zones show me in zone 11, for winter lows, Proven Winners shows me in 9b, according to their zip code chart, and Sunset shows me in 22. All growers seem to think zone 11 won't grow anything but tropicals.

Answer: The zones assigned by Sunset Garden Book take into consideration elevation, proximity to bodies of water and general weather patterns. These microclimates can really make a difference in planning a garden with plants that are marginal in your area. There is no cross reference available but you can search the Monrovia site, print a list of possibilities, then check the Sunset Garden Book to see if they're recommended for your area. You might also visit several local nurseries to see what they have in stock. This will give you a good idea of what will thrive in your area. Finally, you might want to visit local public gardens and walk a few neighborhoods to see what's growing well. This should give you some additional ideas for your own garden. Best wishes with your garden planning!