The Q&A Archives: False Hinoki Cypress Nana Gracilius

Question: I am seriously considering getting two of your False Hinoki Cypress Nana Gracilius from local nursery. Since they are rather espensive, I wanted to be sure that they grow well in our area and how to prepare the soil etc. I am planning on starting a new bed which would have a Crape myrtle (tonto) on each end and a Jap Maple (Tsukushi gata) in the center. I plan to plant the two cypresses between the maple and the crape myrtles. It ia a full sun location, but as the trees grow there will be some shade. Does this sound good to you and any suggestions on planting and care.

Answer: Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Gracilis' is a slow growing evergreen for full sun to part shade. Its only requirements are adequate moisture and well draining soil. These plants root quickly so transplant stress is minimal. If you amend your soil with organic matter (compost, aged manure, etc.) to ensure fast drainage, and water on a regular basis, your new false cypress trees should grow and thrive in the site you describe. Enjoy your new garden!