The Q&A Archives: Hardy, Shade Tolerant Climbing Roses

Question: I'm looking for varieties of climbing roses that will grow over a corral-type fence and flower in the shade of some old maple trees. I live in southern Connecticut (Fairfield County), so we have all 4 seasons. Any suggestions?

Answer: Boy, do you have a tough situation. The rose you want has to tolerate shade as well as the winters of Connecticut. How about trying something like American Pillar, Frau Karl Druschki, or Rosa hugonis (Father Hugo's Rose). American Pillar is an old carmine pink rambler, Frau D is a great old-fashioned white Hybrid Perpetual, and Rosa hugonis is a wonderfully unique single-flower yellow species. All should be winter hardy where you are, will tolerate some shade, and are easily trained to a corral-type fence. Good luck and good gardening.