The Q&A Archives: 1260 Lineal feet of hedges

Question: I recently purchased five acres in Ocala Florida. I am interested in planting hedges for privacy. I do not plan on living on the property for about six years. This should allow for me to purchase less mature plants and allow them to grow. I visit and work on the property twice a month. Can you recommend a hedge type plant that (size and species and how close to plant to each other and the fence) that would do well and not break the bank?

Answer: Michael,

There are quite a few plants that will work as hedges in that area. You actually have the option of a shrub or a larger grass such as pampass grass. Some specific shrubs that are evergreen include: Xylosma (Xylosma congestum), Newell Cestrum (Cestrum fasciculatum var. 'Newellii'), Scarlet Bottlebrush (Callistemon citrinus), Oleander (Nerium oleander), Natal Plum (Carissa macrocarpa), Lilac Hibiscus (Alyogyne huegelii).

The following web sites offer some ideas for native plants that are naturally adapted to the region.