The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Azaleas

Question: We moved into a new home recently and the azaleas among other shrubs were not planted at the appropriate depths. The root bulbs are somewhat exposed, but they have done pretty well over the last year and a half. Should I transplant them more deeply into the ground? When is the best time to transplant them? Are there any special considerations with transplanting?

Answer: Mike,

No don't transplant them. They do fine if planted a little higher as planting too low really promotes root and crown rots. I suggest bringing in a little peat moss and soil mix to fill in around them to bring the soil line up to the proper level. The slightly raised soil level will facilitate drainage away from the base of the plants during wet periods.