The Q&A Archives: Palm tree

Question: I just bought a 3 foot Palm tree at a gardening center. It needed transplanting because it was very root bound. I trimmed the roots a little and separated the roots and replanted. It is now looking dead. Everything is brown and brittle. I did just remember that the day I took it home from the nursery it was a very cold and windy day and they did not cover it. Could this be the problem and is there any way to save it. Thank you, Nancy

Answer: I think your new palm is suffering from transplant stress. Moving it from the nursery to your home sounds like a real experience for it. Palms are tropical in nature and cold, windy weather will certainly affect it. Being moved into your home where temperatures, light levels and humidity are different than what it was used to experiencing will stress the plant, as will repotting. So, the combination of environmental and cultural practices may well have done the plant in. I'd give it some time to recover. Even though it looks pathetic now, it may rebound. Give it bright light, warm temperatures, mist it occasionally to increase humidity, and water it regularly. It may surprise you and begin to grow this spring. I hope so!