The Q&A Archives: growing balloon flowers from seed

Question: I have some pink balloon flower seeds and I was wondering when and how to start the seeds,( perferably outdoors.) I live in zone 5.

Answer: Platycodon grandiflorus seeds can be started in the garden in mid to late spring through early summer. You would plant the seeds in a prepared seedbed, then keep the soil slightly damp until they germinate. Germination can take weeks, so be patient. In late summer to very early fall, transplant them to their permanent location in the garden. These plants can be difficult to move, however, so you may want to start them in individual containers and transplant them directly to their permanent spots in the garden. Starting them in pots also avoids needing to keep the seed area weeded while waiting for germination. You can plant the seeds in containers outdoors if you do not want to try them inside; the east side of a building is usually a fairly sheltered area that works well for this. Good luck with your seeds!