The Q&A Archives: Trees that attract birds

Question: I am considering a Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Gracilis' in my landscape to be placed on the east side of our home near a driveway. This is a specimen type shrub/tree that is slow growing to about 8-12 ft high. It will replace a large pine that attracted birds, and we still want that morning bird singing near our house. I can get a 7 ft. tall Gracilis; will it attract birds like the pine did? some? not at all? or what? If that specimen doesn't work, do you have a recommendation for an 8-12 ft tall, 4-5 ft wide speciment type that will attract birds. Thank you.

Answer: According to the Audubon Society, Chamaecyparis 'Gracilis' is used by birds for food and nesting. It should be an excellent addition to your landscape. Give the birds a chance to discover your new tree and they should move right in. Enjoy!