The Q&A Archives: care for chirimen marlberry

Question: Chirimen Marlberry plants were recommended as ground covering evergreen plants in a partially shaded area. The leaves have not remained green but have turned brownish-red instead. Should I prune the dead leaves? If so, when?
Thank you, Jennifer

Answer: Pruning typically encourages additional growth and cutting off the dead or dying stems should rejuveniate your plants. How much you prune will depend upon how long the plants have been in the ground. Newly planted malberry will not have established roots and pruning can set their growth back; plants that have been in the ground for a few months should be established enough for hard pruning. I suspect your plants are relatively new and they're showing some signs of stress. I would allow them to become established over the spring and summer seasons and in late summer prune the dead plant parts out. You should see some new growth appear and it should have time to harden off before the weather becomes cool. Best wishes with your groundcover!