The Q&A Archives: Wimpy Lawn

Question: My Lawn (SOD) is 18 months old. The grass is very short, thin and not green. I aereated it once and fertilzed it twice the first year. Is there special lawn food that can help my SOD grow and thicken?

Answer: Sod needs regular feeding and watering; if it isn't watered regularly it won't develop a healthy root system and it won't grow well. Put your lawn on a regular feeding schedule (use a lawn food with a 3-1-2 ratio of NPK) and water it deeply but infrequently to force deep root growth. Most lawns need one inch of water per week; more if the weather is really hot. Feed in April, June, September and December in amounts listed on the fertilizer package. You should see a difference within a few weeks after changing your watering habits and feeding your sod. Best wishes with your lawn!