The Q&A Archives: kill weeds, plant grass

Question: I have lots of weeds in my yard.I would like to kill those of and plant Burmuda grass.Can you tell me the best way.

Answer: Andrea,

I suggest that you spray the weeds with a product containing glyphosate (Roundup). Roundup is probably your best bet for a herbicide as it is readily available, works on most weed species, and breaks down quickly in the soil. The weeds need to be actively growing for it to be most effective. If it has not rained in a while, you may need wait for a rain, and then give the weeds a few days to take off growing again before spraying.

Mix and apply Roundup according to label directions. Wait about 5-7 days for it to move down into the roots. Then rototill the soil, weeds and all, and wait another few days. The herbicide will rapidly tie up in the soil and break down into non-toxic material. This is also a good time to level out any uneven areas in the lawn area. Then water the area well to settle and moisten the soil. If you have a lot of tough perennial weed species you may need to allow the weeds that escaped the first treatment a chance to start to regrow and then spray them again.

Next install your turf.