The Q&A Archives: Tree Identification

Question: Have been searching for the name of two trees.
1. A type of flowering Japanese cherry tree. Double flowers with a varigated red center, white on the outside. The one I saw was probably a semi-dwarf.
2. I have

Answer: It's really difficult to identify a tree based upon someone else's observations, but I'll give it a try. Prunus 'Okame' - One of the earliest of the flowering cherries, its carmine-pink petals, with rose-red calyx and reddish flower stalks, open fully before leaf break. It has very consistent year-to-year blooming. The rosy red buds are attractive before flower break, and the calyx and reddish stamens persist for a week after flowering. The overall floral effect lasts 2 to 3 weeks.

At maturity, the Okame Cherry Tree will attain 20-30' in height with a similar spread. Young trees display a broad-columnar habit; older trees develop a more rounded habit.

Cassia leptophylla is variable in growth habit and some years it flowers more than others. Here's a website with photos of flower clusters on a mature tree. Compare this to what you saw - perhaps it is a match. If not, submit a new question with lots of details and we'll see if we can identify it for you: