The Q&A Archives: DWARF NEW ZEALAND TEA TREE propagation

Question: I just bought all of monrovias DWARF NEW ZEALAND TEA TREEs they had in stock. I want to propagate them. Can you tell me the correct way to do this for this specific plant? Thank you.

Answer: Take softwood cuttings during the growing season, July is usually a good time. Leave the terminals intact and take a short cutting of new growth about two or three inches. This new wood will be red, wood that has already turned brown will take very much longer to root. Protect against drying out, these cuttings will be very succulent. A poly tent or other cover will be necessary. A low hormone is beneficial, rootone will work, I use Hormex number 3, which is 0.3% IBA. They should start rooting in ten days to two weeks.