The Q&A Archives: Best holly for screen 8-10 feet high x 8 feet deep x 12-15 wide

Question: I am looking for a holly screen to replace a large pine tree taken out of my garden. The space is 12-15 feet wide, 8 feet in depth and probably 10 feet in height. I would like a holly screen that would have minimal care without being too invasive-would like to stay away from the English. Do you think your varieties of Oakleaf red holly, festive red holly or Berri-Magic would fit the bill? Do you have any other suggestions ? I would like it to be bright. I would like it be hardy to at least zone 6. thanks.

Answer: The Oakleaf red holly grows to almost precisely the dimensions you list. It is quite attractive in the landscape; new growth is a reddish purple, maturing to a dark green. It's hardy in your region and would make an attractive dense privacy screen.