The Q&A Archives: Alison Dupont Mandeville Help AFTER Overwintering

Question: I've never overwintered Alison dupont Mandeville has been in my garage in a container pot all winter. It consists of 3 feet tall brown dead twig/vines from last year and new growth - about 8 inches of very skinny almost lime green new vines. Is that how it should look? Should I cut off all the brown dead looking vines? They are ugly looking. How do I care for this? When can I put it back on my deck? Any/All other advice regarding this plant would be appreciated. Thank you!

Answer: You can cut the vine back to about 6 inches to encourage healthy new growth. Wait until the weather warms - about mid-April in your region - to place it outdoors again. Mandevilla flowers best when it receives 6-8 hours of direct sunlight. It likes moist but not soggy wet soil and can be fed every 3 weeks with a half-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer. Enjoy your mandevilla!