The Q&A Archives: South facing plants in Central Florida

Question: I am a new resident in central Florida and would like to find an excellent scrub or two (flowers would be nice) that can stand the frosts and heat. I have had a number of plants die due to the frost and heatand refuse to cover another plant in the winter months. What can I plant that is showy and easy to manage here in Florida?

Answer: Jim,

I will assume your planting location gets full sun. If this is incorrect please submit another question clarifying the details to the Monrovia web site.

Some options include: Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus), Chindo Sweet Viburnum (Viburnum awabuki 'Chindo'), Butterfly Bush (Buddleja davidii), Pineapple Guava (Feijoa sellowiana), and Dwarf Bottlebrush (Callistemon citrinus 'Little John').