The Q&A Archives: new zealand tea tree

Question: How can I tell if my plant is dead or just in some sort of shock after planting?
These tea trees were just planted 2 weeks ago, when I break a branch it's still green but the leaves are dried out(fall off when I pull them). How much direct sun do the need a day.
How often should they be watered I didnt think they need much. I have 4 in a row and 2 look great and 2 look bad.

Answer: New Zealand Tea trees are quite susceptible to transplant shock so I think what you're seeing is normal if you've just planted them. It's important that they be planted in well draining soil, but it's also important to keep the roots moist while they're becoming established. Water deeply once each week throughout this first growing season to help the roots establish well. Don't prune out the dead wood until your trees begin putting out new growth. They grow best in full sunshine (6-8 hours per day) but will adapt to less. Best wishes with your new plants!