The Q&A Archives: Pepper leaf drop

Question: My peppers, which I started in trays, were doing well, then suddenly the leaves started to drop. What should I do? K. K. Columbus, OH

Answer: Three factors could be the cause: overwatering, lack of light or temperatures that are too cool or too warm, says Bob Precheur, Extension vegetable specialist at Ohio State University in Columbus. For peppers, the temperature shouldn't fall below 60or rise above 75 F. They need about 14 hours of light. And the soil should be moist but not soggy, he explains. If you can correct your situation to provide these conditions, you should be able to bring those transplants back to health. They should bebig enough to move into the garden three to four weeks after they leaf out again. As insurance you may want to start a fresh batch from seed immediately. Although the second batch will be three to four weeks later than normal, the plants will still have enough time to produce a crop in our area, says Precheur.