The Q&A Archives: Lemon Trees with no fruit

Question: I have 2 small lemon trees in my backyard that are neither blooming or bearing any fruit. I know one problem is that they need fertilizer as their leaves are yellowish. Perhaps they are also too young to bear fruit. Any suggestions?

Answer: Yellowing leaves and poor growth can indicate a need for feeding; non-flowering might indicate a need for more sunshine. In general, citrus trees grow best in frost-free areas of the garden, in full sunshine, in well-draining soils. They like moist but not soggy soil and regular feeding for best fruit production. There are specially formulated citrus tree fertilizers - apply in amounts and with the frequency as recommended on the fertilizer label and your trees should perk up. Most lemon trees are capable of flowering and setting fruit by the third year after they've been planted. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Hair-raising"