The Q&A Archives: Plant search- Thuja occidentalis 'emerald''

Question: Hi, I need a large evergreen for a home to separate a driveway from a neighbor's adjoining tall brick house (30'). I can use a 12-15' evergreen, however I only have 5' of space to use. This is a wooded shade to part shade situation. Would you suggest an 'Emerald' arbovitae or do you think that this would be too shady for it. Any other suggestions? We are in zone 7. Thanks Julie Stephens

Answer: Julie,

Those specifications are pretty tough to fill. The height, lack of width and tolerance to shade make it difficult to find a plant that can do all that. I think an arborvitae is not going to be happy in that much shade. The Carolina Cherry Laurel 'Bright N Tight' grows 8 to 10 feet tall and 6 to 8 feet wide so although it can take some shade it would be a battle keeping it narrow. If something could be done to brighten the area and get some sun in there your options would open up a bit.