The Q&A Archives: Chocolate cosmos

Question: Where can I find chocolate cosmos? Can they grow in Omaha, NE? Monrovia is the only web site that even had them listed under their search engine. I grew up in California and used to buy them as cut flowers. Thank you very much! Amy

Answer: Chocolate Cosmos is a perennial cosmos loved for its velvety chocolate-maroon flowers and a light sweet chocolate perfume. This plant is hardy in Zones 7-10; elsewhere dig and store in frost free area for replanting in the spring (just as you would do with dahlia tubers). You're not likely to find Chocolate Cosmos plants in your area because they are not winter hardy, but you can mail order roots through Van Bourgondien ( and plant them in containers to enjoy in your summer garden.