The Q&A Archives: Ivy for chain link fence

Question: Hi
My question involves 100'of chain link fence I would like to cover with an Ivy. The fence is 6'tall. The sun is full between about 10:00 till 3 then difused. I am wondering what is the best type of Ivy and how far apart do I need to space the plants. The ground is well drained but gets alot of water in a heavy rain. I would like something relatively fast growing.
Thanks for any help you can provide

Answer: English ivy is a good vine for chain link fences. You have quite a few other choices, as well. There's evergreen clematis (Clematis armandii), Violet trumpet vine (Clystoma callistegioides), honeysuckle (Lonicera), wisteria, or climbing rose. If you're interested in edible landscaping, kiwi (Actinidia), or grapes would be fun to grow. Each of the plants above will adapt to the growing conditions your site offers. If you decide to grow ivy and want the fastest coverage, set the plants 8-10" apart. Best wishes with your landscape!