The Q&A Archives: Bright Yellow Tree Identification

Question: I live in Central Florida and I've seen several of these trees but don't know what they're called. They have bright yellow leaves or flowers now (March). The leaves or flowers shed. I've seen them from about 5' and taller. When you look at them they have a skinny trunk and then all you see is this bright yellow. They're just wonderful and I would love to buy one, just don't know what it's called. Please help! Thanks so much!

Answer: Kelly,

I'm not sure which shrub or tree you might be seeing based on that description. It might be a Jerusalem thorn (Parkinsonia aculeata). The following web site shows a photo and more info on that plant:

If this is not your mystery plant I suggest you contact the horticulturist at your Orange County Extension Office. They should be able to get a more detailed description and tell you the identity of your mystery plant.

2350 East Michigan Street
Orlando, FL 32806
(407) 836-7570