The Q&A Archives: proper care of a tea tree in a pot

Question: I have a tea tree in a pot on my patio protected from weather, have fed, watered, fertilized, and enjoyed seeing it bloom. It now appears to be dead; all dried out. I don't know what I did to it. It's guaranteed by the nursery for 1 yr., but I am afraid I'll repeat the same thing again. Any suggestions?

Answer: Tea tree (Camellia sinensis) has fine roots and requires plenty of moisture, but also needs well-draining soil that's on the acidic side. They typically can be grown in pots, as long as both the plant and the container are protected from cold weather. Roots in containers are subject to freezing if the weather gets cold so insulating the pot will keep the roots happy during the winter months. Hope this sheds some light on potential problems.