The Q&A Archives: Fast growning tall evergreen tree to grow in semi-shade

Question: I would like to know if you have a fast growing tall evergreen tree that would be suitable to grow in semi-shade. I would prefer it to be full in the branch area and not be any larger than 10ft in diameter if it happens to be cedar, cypress or juniper. Any species will do however. I live in zone 8. Our summers get as high as the upper 90's and the winters get as low as the teen's occassionally but as a rule no lower than the twenties.

Answer: Carole,

Needled type evergreens are not very suited to shady areas. I don't think you'd be happy with their performance and density in that location. Depending on how dense the shade is you might get a broadleaved evergreen such as Bright N' Tight' Carolina Cherry Laurel to work for you in the planting location you described.