The Q&A Archives: Peach Tree

Question: Hi there, I have 4 peach trees the largest is about 7ft tall and i recently noticed my cat is clawing on it and now most of the bark is distroyed around the tree,,but still shows some form of life and a few blooms, is there anything i can put on it to cure the wound? also i've noticed she potty's around most of my citrus trees in the mulch,,will this harm them? Anyone wants a cat? lol Thanks Tim

Answer: Tim,

There is nothing to cure the wound. If the tree is fairly healthy it should close over the wounds and be fine in time as long as some type of canker disease doesn't infect the wound area. I suggest you create a cylinder of hardware cloth wire wrapped around the trunk very loosely to encourage your feline vandal to do its claw sharpening elsewhere. The fact that mulch area beneath your citrus tree has been selected as the preferred privy for cat is not a big concern. You could put some of the same wire or even chicken wire on the ground in that area. If kitty can't scratch it probably won't potty there.