The Q&A Archives: why won't my chindo vibernum bloom?

Question: I have 3 chinco vibernum planted 3 years ago that are growing vigourously but have not bloomed you have any suggestions as to how I can get them to bloom?

Answer: There are several possible reasons for why they may not be blooming. One is that they are considered winter hardy to zone 7 and your zip code places you in zone 7A or the coldest part of that zone. If they are planted in an exposed or cold and windy location they may be losing their flower buds during the winter. Another is that they may be in too much shade, although tolerant of partial shade, if planted in deep shade for most of the day the bloom will be sparse. Finally, they may still be becoming established after being transplanted. Once they are fully established and growing well they should bloom to their full potential. Take care also that you are not overfertilizing them with nitrogen as this can contribute to excessive vegetative growth at the expense of blooms. Maybe they will bloom for you this year.