The Q&A Archives: fruitless weeping mulberry

Question: I purchased one of your fruitless weeping mulberry (bush/tree) from a nursery several years ago. It is suppose to weep but 50% of the branches stand straight up instead of weep. What do I do to get the plant to look like it is suppose to with weeping branches? Should I cut off the branches that stand up? I have contacted the agriculture center in Orlando, the nursery where I bought it, the city owned park where I first saw it. No one I spoke to could help me. Please help

Answer: Debbie,

Weeping mulberries are grafted onto an upright trunk of a normal upright mulberry. The upright shoots you see are most likely coming from below the graft union and should be cut off flush to where they attach to the main stem to maintain a weeping top on the plant.