The Q&A Archives: lipstick plant

Question: Hi -
I have a lipstick plant and the leaves are falling off when they are green. The stems are turning brown at the base. Am I overwatering?

Answer: The symptoms you describe could very well be the result of overwatering. Here is some information on the Lipstick Plant:

Aeschynanthus radicans is an epiphyte that grows in the angles of branches in the rain forest. As with all epiphytes, the lipstick plant does not live as a parasite on the tree, but takes its nourishment from fallen leaves and twigs that accumulate in the crevices of branches. It is native to the Malaysian peninsula.

Blooming Time: May-August The red flowers are long and tubular, and grow in clusters.

Culture: Aeschynanthus radicans need plenty of light, but not direct sunlight. They thrive in summer heat and winter temperatures should not drop below 60 degrees. The compost should consist of 2 parts peat moss to 1 part sand. Water and fertilize the plant often during the growing season and mist it regularly. It can tolerate slight drying-out in between waterings. Water sparingly during the winter rest period.