The Q&A Archives: An easy shrub rose

Question: I have an area in full sun about 13 feet long. I would like to plant some type of rose, maybe a shrub rose. Are there certain varieties that are easy to grow, disease resistant but also still have a nice smell? Thank you, LYnn Butler

Answer: There are a number of excellent landscape or low maintenance shrub roses on the market now. The Knockout series in particular has good disease resistance and very low maintenance with good bloom performance. Fragrance is always a bit subjective, if it is really important I would suggest you check the ones you are considering in person and see for yourself. A few I like, all pink as it happens, are First Light, Knock Out, Nearly Wild, Bonica Improved, The Fairy (tends to blackspot though), Raspberry Rugostar, Carefree Beauty, Carefree Wonder, Carefree Delight, Carefree Marvel ....