The Q&A Archives: starting a nursery?

Question: I have access to about 9 acres in what I believe is a very good location to start a nursery. I have always been interested in this kind of business and would love to be a dealer of Monrovia plants. The property that I own is in American fork, Utah. What are the best selling items here in utah? Are there any good books or training that I should get before venturing out in this business. Any advice you could send me about this would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Brannon Patrick

Answer: The National Gardening Association answers gardening questions from the public for Monrovia, but we do not have access to their business information, such as plant sales data or details on opening a retail nursery. As you no doubt realize, a nursery requires extensive knowledge of plants, maintenance, customer service and business. You didn't mention what your background or experience is, but I suggest you check with your County Cooperative Extension service to see if they have Commercial Horticulture assistance, as well as any local programs for business start-ups. You might consider specializing in one area, and there are often reference books available on specifics. A Google search will help you find more details. Good luck!