The Q&A Archives: Growing Lupines in Oklahoma.

Question: Do you have any suggestions for growing lupines in Oklahoma? I know that they are considered a perennial for this zone 6/7, but also understand that they prefer cooler summers than we get here. I live near Tulsa and would love to be able to grow theses beautiful flowers in my yard. Thanks for any help.

Answer: Unfortunately, I don't think you will have much success, but you can certainly try. You might try a location on a relatively cooler north slope or easterrn exposure, in a somewhat sandy soil that is well drained, and with a neutral to slightly acidic pH. But unless you have an exceptionally cool summer, I just don't think you can overcome the limitations of heat and humidity. The places I have seen them grow their glorious best have very cool summers, such as in Nova Scotia. Good luck with your experiment!