The Q&A Archives: Alternative shrub for dwarf alberta spruce

Question: I need to replace the dwarf alberta spruces I had planted on both sides of the front door of the house. This is the second time they needed to be replaced after the winter. Can you suggest a shrub that would be about the same size and shape? Thank you.

Answer: You might be able to substitute upright yews that are easily pruned for size and shape. However, I would suggest you consult with your county extension and/or professionally trained nurseryman to figure out why the dwarf Alberta spruces have not done well and to be sure the yews would be a suitable choice for that particular location. If not, they should be able to suggest a substitute that would grow well there for you. Good luck with your replacements.