The Q&A Archives: plant suitablity & deer resistance

Question: We live in zone 7/8 (zip code 97504)and are planning a new front yard with the following shrubs/trees: russian olive, oleander, vancouver gold broom and italian cypress (Tiny Tower, or similar). Our questions are: are the above deer proof/resistant, and will they survive our climate? We know oleander is a hit or miss here, so is there a species that tolerates cold better than others? Thanks

Answer: I think even the hardiest oleander is marginal in your area and you may want to reconsider planting it, but Russian Olive, Gold Broom and Italian cypress are all suitable for your zone 7/8 garden. The Russian Olive should be deer-proof because of the spines, but broom and cypress can become favorite food for local deer. Wish I had better news for you!