The Q&A Archives: What might this shrub be?

Question: I purchased a plant a few years ago that had leaves shaped similarly to the loropetalum. The leaves varied from dark to light green, almost white, with a speckling of pink to dark pink throughout. It's growth habits seem to be the same as the loropetalum. The bark was sort of light brown. New growth came out on a dark pink stem. I never noted any bloom though.
I recall that it was a Chinese something, but I can't remember the name. I've searched the net with all sorts of names but to no avail.I thought perhaps you could tell what the place. I hope this question is not too vague. Thanks so much!

Answer: Susan,

You might be talking about the Abelia variety called Sunrise Variegated Abelia by Monrovia. Fall foliage exhibits a range of yellow, orange and red coloring. The following web site show a summer photo.

It could also be the Abelia variety called 'Confetti'. Its foliage is green with cream variegated areas that turn reddish in cool weather. The following website includes a photo.